Thursday, June 09, 2005

Midwife or OB?

Having trouble deciding now that we have a choice. First thought at the beginning was to go with a midwife in a hospital. Couldn't get in, so was put on the waiting list & referred to an OB. A couple of weeks ago we get the call from the midwives' office that I'm no longer waiting, but am now one of the special few who get in. I don't even want to think about the reasons why someone else may not be so special anymore.

We met the midwives yesterday (the primary Chantal & the almost midwife in Canada, having previously been one in the Philippines - name might be Teresa?) & they were great. Very informative, laughed when I asked if I could page them to bring me KFC whenever I desired & just all around nice. Answered lots of questions from our silly internet list & let us listen to the heartbeat (roughly 150 - 160 beats/minute.... make whatever guesses about the sex you want from that... not the sex you want silly!).

Today I had my appointment with the OB/GYN who is also super nice & basically said I can have any birth I want at the hospital. Au natural or totally doped up - my choice (within reason). So now I'm very confused as to who to choose. I really liked them all & don't want to offend anyone by not choosing them. Totally ridiculous I know but hey..... thanks for that indecisiveness gene mum!

So I need to make a choice this weekend & call them all up on Monday which is also our big ultrasound day. We are going for the total entertainment package where if you spend $30 you get 3d pictures afterwards. Could be completely creepy or very cool. Cheaper than a movie at least & we'll get something to torture the little one with for the dating years.

Other than my new dilemma, things are going well. Blood pressure, weight & measurements all normal. Results from the Integrated Prenatal Screening were great, bringing our chances of anything abnormal down from 1/330 (age related) to 1/3400 & 1/5100 (spinal). Yay! Starting to feel more movement - Calvin even said he could feel something this morning. Little bugger likes to poke the internal organs though so hopefully we can start disciplining soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a big decision to make. Luckily we have little choice here in Jasper. It's great that the OB is open to anything you want.
Hope you can email us a copy of the 3D pics.
Are you going to find out the sex? Just remember you won't be able to keep it a secret if you do.
Love, Maggie