Thursday, August 10, 2006

> 30 Hours + Terror Plot = Panic Mode

We'll be going to the airport about this time tomorrow. I am expecting major delays & severe security checks. As far as it stands this moment we can't bring any liquids on board & we'll have our shoes scanned since we are bound for O'Hare & then Seattle. If security gets stepped up to UK levels we might not get to bring on any carry-on luggage. I completely understand the precaution & I don't want to complain but over the past two days I have undertaken the most intense packing job of my life. It's been a mathematical conundrum & balancing act of major proportions, trying to assess the right amount clothing, toiletries & shoes needed for 8 weeks of living.

Since we are moving to the U.S. we are not allowed to move food, liquor, medicine or plant items so we've also had to pack up vitamins, cold medicine, Tempra, a bottle of champagne & baby food into our luggage. Sure, we could leave this crap here, but we've already given away hundreds of dollars worth of food, booze, clothing, baby equipment & the like, that I figured if I could fit it in, take it. We bought two huge suitcases to fit all this stuff & it was hard work getting everything we need in them, plus the regular sized suitcase, the Rubbermaid tub full of bike crap & the stoller to be our checked luggage. Then we each get a regulation sized suitcase as carry-on & as well as a big as we can personal item. Oh and there's also the dog crate. At least we got a seat for the baby so we are allowed this much. If we didn't we'd be screwed.

Now I am wondering, if we have to check our carry-on, will they be charging us for extra baggage? The possible logistics of this new development are stressing me out, not to mention the entire thought of international air travel at this point. Combine this with the move & you got one big freak out. Oh ya, Calvin also let the baby roll off the Heavenly Bed last night while I was in the Heavenly Shower. Things are grrrrrreat!

edited to add: Happy Birthday Susanne & belated wishes to my sis Andrea & anyone else I might have missed in internet land.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With an eerie sense of foreboding, I can almost smell the airport trauma you are about to experience. I am not kidding when I say save yourself and Freyja a world of hurt and baby-tylenol her to the ears.
Tracey

Connie said...

That is stressful - I have all I can do to pack the baby bag for the mall these days. Sorry we didn't get a chance to say "see ya" on Saturday. We hope to see you guys very soon. Hope everything works out great tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Totally in agreement with your friend, Tracey...........I say go for the Tylenol for babykins. I say, hooray for the Brits (it was them, wasn't it?) what caught the blokes! What if they hadn't?

Chin up Laura. You'll be there soon and imagine what great blogs this terribly trying time will inspire.

Love you all

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! online games http://www.bontril-5.info Kids snow pants Care acne national lottery Insurance advertising Ping g2 golf clubs stores